Triaging CRT Monitors
From Free Geek Toronto
- Monitor yellowed on outside are likely due to overheating which deteriorates the white plastic
- Older monitors are likely to fail earlier, we do not want to give away or sell a monitor that could fail in a few months.
- Check external plastic colour of monitor. If monitor is yellowed on outside, place it in recycling pile.
- Check for monitor manufacturing date. It is usually on back. If monitor is older than year 2000, place it in recycling pile.
- Connect the power supply cord and turn the monitor on. If the monitor does not turn on, place it in recycling pile.